• Company


  • Role

    Chief Product Officer

  • Year


Executive Summary:
I led a design overhaul to turn a rough prototype into a slick paid product and land its first customers.




Partnered was a Y Combinator startup that connected big brands with popular startups for brand sponsorships. The idea was an interesting and unique one - treat startups like a new type of advertising channel - but when I joined, the UX was confusing and the visual design didn't look worth paying for.

The initial prototype gained signups rapidly and showed promise.

At the time, they had a free prototype with a lot of signups of very influential companies but practically no repeat engagement metrics, showing that they had an interesting value proposition but the product wasn't fulfilling expectations.

My work unfolded in phases:

  • Phase 1 - three crazy weeks for a super quick redesign to relaunch at SXSW.
  • Phase 2 - six months of in-depth user research to target larger customers.

Phase 1

Immediately after joining, my first priority was to overhaul the free prototype and relaunch it as a paid product at SXSW, since we knew that would be the perfect target audience for growth hackers looking to network with VIP marketers.

The team cranked in an all-out 3 week sprint to redesign the app from top to bottom. We completely threw away the previous design, refocused the app on features that were unique to the network and gave the visual design a completely new coat of paint.

Nailing down the value prop - the app vastly outperformed typical email intros.

In Austin, we hosted our own event with panelists from our user base and I gave product demos to VIP guests that we targeted in advance.

The relaunch was a success and we had our first paid customers shortly after returning from SXSW.

Phase 2

After the relaunch, I did user research with our initial customers to see how we could expand our user base from single seat customers to larger teams.

This combo of user research and rapid iteration is my happy place - an organic and highly iterative process that I've done many times before.

I'm in my sweet spot when I'm regularly meeting with a small base of enthusiastic early adopters and cycling through experiments until we find the features that take off with a larger audience. Feature development is a different kind of slow burn compared to rapid firefighter work, like in the initial redesign.

This is practically my life motto :)

Sure enough, we eventually found the solution: to redesign a little-used feature called partnerships, turning it into a vendor database to help track complicated customer relationships. See the second video above for more info.


This project was an important business milestone for me. It was immensely satisfying to use the power of design to make something that business users clearly understood and found worth paying for.

It was my first time being responsible for landing the initial paying customers.

Every B2B company I worked at before Partnered already had customers but this was my baby, all the way from rough prototype to the initial dollars coming in through the door.

Thanks for making it this far! Feel free to email me if you have any questions.